Thursday, April 9, 2015

Science, Music and Your Workout

It could be pop, rap, classic rock, or just good old fashion 90's hits to get you in the mood..... The gym mood!

Many of us have different tastes in music, and its a beautiful thing....Unless you're a fan of Justin Bieber.......


You might as well just stop reading now. As I will be dropping many inappropriate jokes, and maybe enough refer to some from his roast last week if you're lucky.

All jokes aside (not until later) there has been many research studies proving that with the right music your workout and performance will improve. Don't believe me? Try working out with no music at all.................Sounds horrible right? Well it is....Worse than this scene from Breaking Bad.....


Case 1: Music improves your mood. Ever listen to music when your, angry, sad or happy? Then for some reason you feel better? Music is a way to escape from the present and think about yourself and focusing on the moment.

Case 2: The right pace goes a long way. A study done on a group of cyclists showed that one of the two groups worked harder with music at a certain BPM (beats per minute) compared to the other group with a slower pace.

Music with 120bpm to 140bpm proved to be the most effective. Any slower or faster did not show any benefit.

So, go find the right grove at the right pace!


Case 3: Music distracts pain: People refer to being "in the zone" while working out and their mind goes some where else. Music will actually make you less aware of your exertion and help you complete those last two reps, sets, or even that God awful finisher I give to my clients each and every day!

I can go on and on about the benefits of music, but I think you should go and update your playlists with all of your guilty pleasures.

Now I gotta go and get my workout in. First song on my playlist, a little Backstreet Boys to get me going!

No comments:

Post a Comment