First thing that pops into my head, and you'd agree vividly remembering Nicki Minaj's music video and song for "Anaconda." Which was a tribute/remake to "Baby Got Back." Ironically, this was one of my favorite songs growing up.....
Pop culture has announced 2014 was the year of the booty because of mainstream singers/rappers promoting their behinds as the new "it" thing.
Images like these were flooding the gates of social media, marking a new dent into the mainstream.
And even Ellen got in on the fun.
What's the point of all this you ask? This obsession about having a big booty is a positive thing, or at least I think so, for positive reasons. For ages women wanted a smaller butt, smaller this, thinner, that, etc. I personally think these celebrities are doing good, by paving a new way how women look at themselves.
Which brings me to the notion of, when is having a small butt sexy? Look for yourself.
Now that have proven my point, I will tell you all how to achieve strong, powerful and sexy glutes!
Reasons why you need strong glutes:
1. To do anything athletic, your glutes are your prime movers. So, if you want to be able to lift something in your daily life, you use your legs, not your back!
2. Glute power and strength will translate into other activities. (All those people with dirty minds reading this should stop thinking right now!!!) You will dominate in sports, gym life and looking great in clothing.
Being able to lift heavy things like this coach named Neghar Fonooni,, is one way to make you feel confident. If you notice, she is pulling 255lbs for 3 reps, and she stands about 5"2 and probably weighs in around 130lbs.
Now we can put to rest that stupid staying that women who lift heavy turn into the hulk... You will not get big...So lets pick up heavy things and put them down, shall we?
Now you are probably so hyped up and ready to get strong sexy glutes to show off. Here are my 3 recommendations when it comes to building these pillars of sexy.
1. The Kettlebell Swing. For those who do not know how to swing, I'd recommend finding a certified HKC, RKC or SFG instructor that has hours upon hours of coaching experience to teach you this exercise. *cough* me... *cough*
2. Glute Bridge/Hip Thurst. Depending what level you are at, the glute bridge and hip thrust exercises are crucial to glute development. The guy in the video is known as Bret Contreras AKA "The Glute Guy" in our industry. If you want to know in depth scientific reasons why glutes are the best muscles in the world, look him up!
3. The Deadlift. Probably one of the key movements to building your glutes. Not only is this the creme de le creme of exercise, it has vast and endless amount of benefit for your body.
As deadlifts sound like some sort of witch craft, it is one of the most technical lifts out there. Which again, I highly recommend hiring a well educated and experienced coach *cough* me *cough* to teach you.
Putting all this together....
Now that I have given you all this information, put it to good use and start implementing these exercises into your programs. If you do not have a program set up, shoot me a comment or email as I offer online training.
For women it is difficult to accept and appreciate their bodies. Remember, what you see in the media is not real. But you can always become a healthier and happier you with proper training and nutrition.
So, the next time you look in the mirror to criticize every single flaw you can come up with, from head to toe. Instead, try saying 3 things you like about your body, and remember you're you, not anyone else. Don't compare, appreciate!