Thursday, March 12, 2015

Day in the life of your training coach...

Before I start. I want to get across that fitness is my passion. Being able to help others achieve things they never imagined is one of the best feelings in the world.

The day my gym I worked at previously closed down, I never felt so much love from my clients. The amount of texts, facebook messages, emails, and phone calls was so overwhelming to receive. A piece of me broke down knowing I couldn't continue training everyone the moment it all ended.

With all the kind words and emotional conversations, I never knew how MUCH of an impact I made on all these people's lives.

So, without going into a teary puddle like Tobey Maguire in Spiderman, let me explain what I do on a daily basis to be able to make an impact on your life.....


5:00am........ Time to wake up..... I begin having the internal struggle of staying in bed for the rest of the day....No...Too easy

Get dressed, brush teeth, pack my bags, and hope to God I don't forget something important like my cell phone, or the meat portion of my lunch, or better yet, my gym gear (this has happened numerous times)


Things People Who Hate Mornings Experience Every Day

5:30am. I am walking through the doors of the gym, lights on, music on, prep for all my clients that will be coming through the front door.

6:00am: Show time! The gym floor is my stage, and my clients are my audience. I mentally dig deep and find some sort of energy to express.

11:00am: I am finally done training for the morning. I find a space to sit down and finally unload my lunch bag and eat a feast. At the same time I am responding to emails, catching up on reading current fitness trends or trying to finish fitness related videos and articles that I've been cutting up into 3-5 10 minute parts.

12:00pm: It's my turn. I get to go to battle with my workout. This is probably the most mentally exhausting thing as a training coach. Putting in the same amount of effort as the clients I train to push themselves beyond the limits they thought they could.

This takes a lot out of you when you're alone and having no one push you.

I train by myself, and all I have is my rap music to keep me going.



1pm-ish: This is where I get to go home, shower, clean, do chores, etc. Sometimes I fall victim to lying on my bed for a second, then waking up so vigorously because my own drool woke me up.... 

22 Awkward Moments People Who Hate Waking Up Will Totally Understand

This phenomena called a "nap" usually last only about 10 minutes.

2pm-4pm: Between these hours I will be creating programs, emailing, admin work, trying to clean my house, cook, and prep for the next day, etc.

5pm to 8pm: I am back at the gym and trying to find something deep down inside of me to push through the last bit of clients for the night.

8:pm to 9pm-ish: This is where I am packing my bags for the next day, reading a book, checking facebook, answering any texts or emails. Then finally calling the love of my life for about 10-15 minutes before my body crashes and wakes up at 5am to repeat the same process.

As you can tell, the whole day is packed with training clients, emailing the clients, creating programs for the clients, and learning new training techniques to apply to the clients. ( see how I emphasized clients there? haha)

In my opinion I am here to serve, I will put my 100% effort for the people I train. I'd do anything to see someone succeed.

From the schedule above you might have noticed I haven't put these things in:

  • Going to seminars, conferences, reading, watching lectures, listening to podcasts, etc on training
  • Keeping up with my personal life
  • Keeping up with current events, including pop culture. Because many will bring up what happened last time on Ellen, Dr.Oz, or what I thought of Kim Kardasian's new hair style ( she looks like Malfoy from Harry Potter btw)
  • Training for a run, cycling event, etc
  • Training with a client on a weekend for their first 5km, 10km run or cycling 40-80km.
  • My hobbies
  • Blogging
  • etc.
The point I am trying to make is being in this profession takes huge effort on the coaches part to make a difference.

I will never stop what I do, I've changed lives, and to me, that's priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment