Thursday, March 5, 2015

Benefits of Tart Cherries

I'd like to think I'm on top of my game when it comes to the fitness industry.

I love learning about new trends (good or bad) and share my thoughts and opinions so openly people get tired quickly of hearing the same rant over and over again.


Which brings me to a hot new topic in the nutrition department. Tart Cherries. Move out Acai berry, this sour cherry is about to blow up!


What are these things?

They come in dried, frozen, canned and juice form. You can find them at your local grocery store and health food store.

Compared to regular cherries they have a sour taste to them due to anthocyanins  (wow I sounded real smart there!) A fancy name for its colour properties which give these cherries their unique flavour.

So, what do these cherries have to do with health and fitness?

1. Inflammation

Having 1/2 a cup of tart cherry juice after a workout can help reduce the amount of inflammation and soreness.

New recovery shake? I think yes!

2. Improves quality of sleep

A study was done that helped patients with insomnia increase their sleep time by at least 90 minutes.

3. Heart Health  

Studies have also shown that these berries are able to help lower the risk of heart disease, by lowering cholesterol, triglycerides and improve loosing fat.

Seems to me the three health benefits mentioned above are key when it comes to living a healthier life style don't you think? 

When I train my clients, I always tell them you need to 1. Recover from workouts, 2. Better sleep, and 3. Focus on keeping your heart healthy to loose fat.


Do these cherries seem to good to be true? Maybe...But I personally drink 1/2 a cup of cherry tart juice after my workouts and I feel great after.

Maybe there is some sort of benefit, or maybe it will be a fad. Like the shake weight.....


What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment