Thursday, December 17, 2015

"Gym-ing" You're Doing It Wrong...

Hello Fitness Freaks!

Today will be another blog post based on my Facebook question from last week. I will be throwing down common mistakes I see in the gym, and in the world of health and fitness.


1. Cardio.

Back in the day when I first started my career I worked at a big box gym. Thousands of square feet of iron, rarely touched by an average Joe. Why? Most likely every typical person out there is intimidated by the "juice monkeys" preaching "Bro-Science" staring at themselves in the mirrors while doing curls. 

Then plan B happens. Cardio machines! Treadmills, rowers, stair climbers, bikes, you name it. Day in and day out all these people chasing fat loss and not getting the results they want. They end up discouraged and leave the gym, never to come back and still pay the monthly fees for the rest of their lives. 

What should you do instead? Hire a trainer to at least show you how to do the basics. People have this idea that hiring a personal trainer is some luxury that only multi millionaires can have. Why not get one session per month and a program? Most trainers (in my area) charge any where from $80-$100 per hour for a private session. You probably spend that amount of money going out to dinner every weekend so let's put things into perspective people!




2. Fitness Idols With Advice.



 
                                                    


I see so many people look in the wrong areas of the internet and TV for fitness advice. It's not their fault as the media has control over everything we ingest with our eyes and ears. We are left with quacks that prescribe nutrition and fitness advice that can be harmful and just plain old stupid to your well being. 

It makes me cringe knowing that some of these "fitness gurus" selling snake oil are worth more than $100 million dollars that are feasting on the general public that have no clue. 

Enough of me ranting about them, here are some solutions when it comes to fitness advice from the actual professionals!

  • Dr. John Berardi - Founder of Precision Nutrition
  • Bret Contreras - "The Glute Guy"
  • Sohee Lee - Great inspiration for women trying to get strong out there
  • Kevin Larabee - Amazing and intelligent strength coach, and creator of The Fitcast
  • Jon Goodman - Founder of the PTDC that contains all the current fitness and health info 
This list could go on forever but this a a start! Just let me know what you're looking for and I'll guide you in the right direction. Hey! I might be of good use too! haha


3. Deadlifts..........

 

This one exercise has it's own section as this single exercise is one of the most butchered lifts out there. I've seen way too many times, people lifting huge weight with rounded backs. Every time I see form on the lines of the picture above my eyes start bleeding and I can hear your discs exploding out of your spine.

Instead, you should go through the proper progression before deadlifting.

1. Can you touch your toes without bending your knees? This is the first prerequisite if you are able to deadlift off the floor.

2. Can you engage your hamstrings and glutes throughout the movement? If not, most likely your back is doing all the work.

3. Is your lower back ever sore after deadlifting? This is probably because you're doing it wrong.

Here is a great video from Neghar, explaining how to deadlift properly. Enjoy.



Questions? Thoughts? Comments? Let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment